Monday, September 1, 2008

Welcome to my home: This is MY Hawai'i.

I just returned from a 10 day trip to visit family and friends on the island of O'ahu. I brought my camera, not only to capture the sights and beauty that most people see when they visit these islands, but to show the amazing and unique beauty of the culture that we "locals" have and cherish.

I was born and grew up in Kailua, O'ahu, and even though my parents both regularly worked 60 hours a week to make ends meet, I remember "Hawaiian Life" fondly. Our Ohana (extended family) would get together regularly to cook, eat, and "talk story" for hours, until long after the sun went down. And although my immediate family hasn't lived in Hawai'i for several years, when we got together to talk story, it was like nothing had changed.

High School Reunion

Two Old Cops

Wala'au

For me, one of the best parts about these get-togethers is the food. Ohhh, man, the food is AMAZING. Unhealthy, perhaps, but so ono (delicious).

Fresh caught Papio (Trevally):
There's no fish in Kaneohe Bay...

Broke da Mouth!

and plenty of Shoyu (soy sauce) Chicken:
Shoyu Chicken

The people in our Ohana are some of the nicest people I've ever known. Always smiling, and always with a story to tell.
Auntie

Pepe the Mute

I already miss the islands...

No comments: