Friday, September 4, 2009

Back to Basics

After my grandpa passed, I told my mom that the only thing I wanted in remembrance of him was his treasured Pentax K1000. Crusty from years of salt air and humidity from Hawai'i, it took a bit of love and care to get the old beast running. But true to form, it still works just as well as it did when Papa bought it new.

I ran a roll of Ilford HP5 Black And White film through it, and these are some good shots that came out:

Chase Jarvis

April

The Bean

Chase Jarvis turns to his iPhone to reinspire his creativity. The full manual control and b&w film of the Pentax helped me to slow down, think and compose carefully before clicking the shutter, as opposed to ripping through 5 or 6 frames in a few seconds on a digital. The Pentax has created a level of creativity I had forgotten I had, and I hope it will begin to shine through to my digital photography.

No comments: